1.) DON’T immediately begin a high impact workout without warming up first. You might as well take a frozen rubber band and stretch it beyond it’s point of elasticity. The rubber band will snap much easier and so will your muscles if they are tight. DO warm up with low impact activity such as walking, lunges, or arm circles.
2.) DON’T immediately stop all activity after a vigorous workout. DO be sure to cool down to aid in the recovery process. Cooling down allows your heart rate to lower along with the relaxation of your tired muscles.
3.) DO remember to stretch your muscles before working out and after, especially, since your muscles are still warm. DON’T stretch prior to warming up because your muscles need proper loosening to prevent accidental strain and pulling. There are so many wonderful benefits to stretching. Here is a post I made demonstrating various stretches.
4.) DON’T push an injury. This should be a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many people simply ignore pain and continue working out. What may seem okay at the time can become an even bigger problem if not properly attended to. DO listen to your body. If a pain is persistent, DO consult a doctor as soon as possible.
5.) DON’T lift too much or make sudden jerky body movements. DO be sure to increase weights gradually to prevent injury and quick muscle burnout. It’s normal to feel pain and some fatigue, but lifting too much to the point of failure isn’t going to help. This goes hand in hand with going overboard in general. DO work your way into a program with caution to avoid injuries and feeling defeated.
6.) DON’T stick with the notion that you can eat whatever you want because you worked out. Abs are also made in the kitchen, so choose your foods wisely. DO check food labels for nutritional content. DO choose foods that are filling to lessen the chance of binging later due to sudden hunger. DON’T eat empty calories.
7.) DON’T load up on sports drinks for short workouts. You’ll be tacking on a lot of unnecessary calories (also includes energy bars). DO keep a bottle of water handy at all times to remain properly hydrated. DO drink before you’re thirsty. If your body is begging for water, you’re already heading towards dehydration. Drinking 4-8 oz approximately every 20 minutes will do the trick. DO consider sports drinks when you plan on working out for more than 1 hour.
8.) DON’T get bored with your exercise program because it will be hard to stick with. Exercise can become very monotonous if you continue to do the same thing day after day. DO incorporate new exercises during the week to break up your usual routine. Having the opportunity to build new skills can keep you motivated.
9.) DON’T wear clothing made with fabrics (i.e. cotton) that are not breathable as they can become saturated resulting in heaviness. You want to remain comfortable during a workout. DO be sure to wear clothing that wicks moisture away from the body (dry-fit). DO wear clothing appropriate for whatever exercise you choose to partake in.
10.) DON’T overexercise. Your body needs rest just as much as it needs to be physically active. DO take, at the very least, 1 day of complete rest in order for your body to recover. This is especially important the day after vigorous activity has taken place. DO stagger your weekly workouts between easy, mild, and tough to create balance.
11.) DON’T pretend that you know everything just to avoid “looking stupid” when you truly have a concern or question in mind. You can say hello to injuries. DO consult a personal trainer for advice, tips, and examples of exercise moves to work a certain part of your body.5,183 notes
- afitrunnertobe reblogged this from intellectualtheft
- iamfamee likes this
- lexigetssexi likes this
- niallswhoran9 likes this
- molokodolly likes this
- cooler-hulahips likes this
- ofitblr reblogged this from idagetsfit
- teaandbiscuitsplease likes this
- meandmyhealthyway reblogged this from idagetsfit
- really-happy reblogged this from brightbeautifulhealth
- fitnesspriincess reblogged this from strivetobehealthy
- lilotata93 likes this
- immagopoopnow likes this
- thelittlemermaidsara likes this
- samanthaxenomorphic likes this
- greenteafitme reblogged this from kittensandme1317
- whereyagonnabetomorrow reblogged this from happy-healthy-and-fit
- abbyishigh likes this
- things-i-wish-knew reblogged this from fatasstohealthybitch
- catharticxperience reblogged this from sweetsurrendersandmisconceptions
- starklyanna likes this
- sweetsurrendersandmisconceptions reblogged this from hawaiiweightlossmom
- somonewearingfingerlessgloves likes this
- cindyparkerr likes this
- thirteendaysofsummer likes this
- prettyy likes this
- fitnesshenanigans reblogged this from ass-and-abs
- teeny-tummy reblogged this from ass-and-abs
- last-time-last-chance likes this
- ass-and-abs reblogged this from fitncurvy
- thebiggestloserof2013 reblogged this from abittenapple
- thebiggestloserof2013 likes this
- bananamojo reblogged this from goodbyeto265
- beautifulbeliever likes this
- redvixen4 likes this
- lolabuggz reblogged this from fitness-or-fatness
- brandnewstartt likes this
- i-need-motivationnnn likes this
- itsworthallwounds likes this
- deannasstyle reblogged this from eleanorcalder-styleguides
- 0102lin likes this
- bonniemarie likes this
- pmvdr likes this
- escaping-realityx likes this
- lovee-can-wait-for-me likes this
- dreambig-eatsmall likes this
- huangnelson likes this