Current Weight: 120 lbs
Highest Weight: 230 lbs
Lowest Weight: 106 lbs
You can see how frail I looked before I started running.
Goal Weight: Happy and healthy. I’m there.
Favorite binge food? I don’t binge. That was my downfall in the past, night after night of binging on unhealthy foods. I didn’t come to terms with the fact that I was slowly killing myself until early 2009. I do treat myself on a weekly basis. My relationship with food is completely different as an athlete. I use food to fuel my passion for running. Distance running requires a lot of wholesome, nutrient-dense energy, especially carbohydrates. My favorite carbo loading meals for long runs are whole grain pancakes or whole grain pasta with tomato sauce. My favorite treat is frozen yogurt with all the fixins’.
Oh, and Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Mmm!
Favorite exercise? Distance running.
What makes you slip up? The only time that I take extra, unplanned days off is if I’m very sick or injured.
What makes you strong? Dedication and discipline. I’ve learned to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Running is hard. And, if I need a day of rest, I take one. It’s crazy how you can feel your body repairing itself during downtime.
How many calories do you consume per day? Roughly between 1,500 - 2,000 calories per day. It’s dependent upon my point within my training cycles. I don’t count calories anymore. I just sort of know and understand what and how much my body needs.
What do you see when you look in the mirror? I see Adrian. If I said that same exact statement in the past, it would’ve been meaningless. I didn’t know who Adrian was, and quite frankly, I didn’t care. I’ve finally woken up from this 20 some year ‘coma,’ and it has allowed me to discover myself in so many different ways.
Are you the fat or thin one out of your friends? This doesn’t and should never matter.
Are you depressed? At this particular moment? Nope. I do have rough days. Depression runs in the family, and an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness still strikes me at random moments. Often times, I can’t even explain why. However, I can say without any regards, that I’m the happiest I’ve ever been in my whole entire life.
Ever been to a psychologist? No. I’m MUCH more open about my feelings and the things that are bothering me. In the past, my book was closed and left on a shelf to collect dust. Now, I often open up to my mom, my loving boyfriend Sean, or my close family-like friends. For the most part, they are able to lift my spirit enough to get me through my brief bouts of sadness. When that doesn’t work, I turn to running. A lot of people say that ‘running is cheaper than therapy.’ That’s because it’s true. When I run, it’s my own personal time to reflect upon my life. Sometimes, I even zone out and completely forget about whatever is stressing me out at the moment.
This adorable, handsome man keeps me grounded. I love you Sean! :)
Are you on any medication? Oh yes. I’m on Ventolin HFA, Asmanex, loratadine, and doxepin. If you haven’t figured it out, I do have asthma. I was diagnosed back in 11th grade following an awful episode of acute bronchitis. I’m also highly allergic to pet dander and dust. My doctor prescribed doxepin to subside my symptoms of cold urticaria (it’s also prescribed for people with depression/anxiety). Cold urticaria literally translates to ‘cold hives,’ which simply means that I break out in hives when I’m exposed to cold temperatures for an extended amount of time. For some unforeseen reason, the cold triggers an allergic response, and my body protects itself by releasing histamine, which in turn triggers the inflammatory response. It’s painful and itchy, and it looks horrible. It started back in 2007. I also take a sports multivitamin and glucosamine chondroitin MSM for my joints.
1. Favorite time to workout? Morning/mid-afternoon.
2. Favorite place to workout? The world is my gym.
3. Favorite workout shirt? One that is lightweight and made with a moisture wicking fabric. Although, my top favorite shirt is the one that I received from running the Pittsburgh Marathon. Good thing it’s a technical shirt. ;)
4. Favorite workout shorts? Nike tempo track shorts. The end.
5. Favorite song to listen to while working out? I don’t really have a favorite workout song. My favorite genre to workout to is rock. I’ll pick a random song off of my playlist: Monster by Skillet.
6. Weights exercise you like most? I like experimenting with body weight exercises like squats, lunges, mountain climbers, planks, inchworms, etc.
7. Favorite post workout snack? A big cup of coffee and a good PB&J sandwich is enough to make me a happy
camper runner. I also love cereal!
8. How do you get to your place of working out? I open the door and go outside.
9. Would you workout if you didn’t have to in order to stay fit and healthy? Yes, I love what running has done for me. I run to challenge myself. I run to be fearless. I run to clear my wildly rampant thoughts. I’m a runner, and I love every painstakingly triumphant moment. I sometimes think, “Why do I do this to myself?” But when I reach a new personal best or cross another finish line, that’s when I get my answer. I love the feeling of the ground pounding beneath my feet. I love the wind blowing through my hair and the sweat pouring down my face. An overwhelming sense of pride rushes through me every single time I lace up my shoes. Running doesn’t define me. I define running. I gained so much insight from running. I’ve developed new outlooks, built numerous friendships, and created lasting memories because of running. Running is an adventure, and I’m always up for the challenge. I’m chasing every fear that I’ve ever possessed, and I’m using these fears to drive me forward on a daily basis.
10. Favorite thing to do to pass time during cardio? I take pictures, assess my life, conjure up ideas, listen to music, and when I’m with a group, we talk about anything and everything.
11. How many times per week do you exercise? About 5-6 days per week.
12. What gets you most motivated to workout? Running is an amazing sport for many reasons. You just never ever know what’s going to happen, and something about that notion drives me. You have good days, and you have bad days. I also love being able to catch a glimpse of the world by foot. It’s miraculous how much I’m able to see/take in during a run, many things that I couldn’t possibly experience otherwise.
13. Do you work out alone or with a partner? I usually run alone during the week, but on the weekends, I prefer to do my long runs with a group as long as my schedule permits. It keeps me motivated, and I’ve met so many wonderful people through my local running club. Many of which, I now consider family. The SCRRC has truly changed my life. If you’re from the Pittsburgh area, I highly suggest that you sign up! :)
14. Any embarrassing moments while running or at the gym? Nobody was around at the time, but I did tinkle outside once. The Porta-Johns were locked, and my pea-sized bladder was about to burst at any given moment. This was right before I started a long run of 16 miles, so I couldn’t foresee myself beginning at an uncomfortable state. Post-run, I do find myself saying/doing dumb things until I start replenishing my body. My brain isn’t worth a crap after a super long run.
15. Water or sports drink? It depends on how many miles I’m running and whether or not I’m consuming some other type of fuel (GUs, Shot Bloks, Honey Stinger Waffles, etc.) GU + Gatorade = GI (gastrointestinal) distress…I experienced this issue during the marathon. NOT FUN.
16. Favorite thing about working out? The person that I become after a run.
Secondly, I love being a marathoner. It’s something that I hope to do for years to come. It’s a title that nobody can ever take away from me ever since the morning of May 6, 2012. It was life changing.25 notes
- wxulikeit likes this
- iwillbehealthy-skinny-fit likes this
- wannabe-vegan likes this
- lizziecupcakes likes this
- bombon-asesino likes this
- briiseiida likes this
- wheresmychaitaelatte likes this
- shortbeatnikruns likes this
- bescared-dreambig likes this
- captainmander likes this
- supplementbe likes this
- shittybeatles likes this
- abrandnewkindofamy likes this
- mariesante likes this
- kayladoeslife likes this
- peaceloveandahealthylifestyle likes this
- betweentheshores likes this
- thepeacemongers likes this
- jfcglencoco likes this
- hastywife likes this
- ciinderellacity likes this
- losingweightgaininghappy likes this
- chasefear posted this